Pets with routine dental care typically live longer and healthier lives.
Routine dental cleaning is an often-overlooked part of your pet’s preventative health care plan. At Coral Breeze Animal Hospital, we offer ultrasonic dental scaling and polishing, which is the most effective way of removing tartar and plaque. Tartar and plaque can cause your pet to develop bad breath, loose teeth, and painful gums. Gingivitis may lead to problems later on, such as difficulty eating, tooth root abscesses, and liver and kidney problems from trapped bacteria.
Periodontal Disease is a Major Health Risk for Your Pet
- It is the most common disease in small animal practice.
- It is PAINFUL.
- It is PREVENTABLE (the term for prevention is “prophylaxis”).
Some Important Terms:
- Gingivitis: inflammation of the gingiva (i.e. gum line) only.
- Periodontitis: inflammation and disease of all structures that support the teeth.
- Plaque: a “biofilm” consisting of 80% bacteria and bacterial toxins, 20% cellular debris and food remnants. It is plaque (especially below the gum line) that causes gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Calculus (i.e. tartar): is mineralized plaque that cannot be brushed off
In addition to performing a routine dental cleaning, we can also help you set up an oral hygiene maintenance program to keep your pet’s teeth healthy and bright.
We can provide complete and thorough dental cleaning in many pets with NO ANESTHESIA. This procedure is done by highly-trained veterinary dental technicians. NAD’s are not recommended if your pet has severe periodontal disease or requires extractions, but for many pets with mild to moderate tartar buildup and mild gingivitis, it can be done successfully. Call us today for more information and to see if your pet qualifies for a non-anesthetic dental.